The Quality Manager will serve as the owner and project manager for the planning, direction and implementation of all quality assurance activities. Ensures product and process compliance with specifications, regulations and contract requirements. Develops and guides quality assurance program plans, inspection plans and inspection equipment requirements in development, manufacturing and repair processes. Manages the corrective and preventative action process and quality communication.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates the maintenance of AES’s Quality Management System (QMS) that defines process measurements, documents process performance, and triggers improvement activities. Monitors the effectiveness of the QMS and makes appropriate changes to improve results.
- Oversees initiatives in the value streams to set culture of operational excellence and continuous improvement. Utilizes Value Stream Mapping, Kaizen, problem solving, Kanban, 5S, SMED, and error proofing tools. Incorporates standard work, visual controls, accountability and discipline management systems in operations.
- Works across organizational barriers to facilitate effective project management to achieve business objectives and results.
- Works closely with production and support department leaders in reviewing quality data at regular intervals (weekly/monthly) and making recommendations for appropriate corrective action to improve results.
- Monitors results and effectiveness of audit systems – in-coming, in-process, final, product testing and/or external tests. Communicates audit results to appropriate leaders and team members and facilitates improvement activities. Makes appropriate changes to audit systems to improve results.
- Communicates inspection results to suppliers and appropriate teams. Assists with supplier development.
- Participates in customer contract review regarding customer quality requirements and specifications.
- Supports and participates in continuous improvement teams, including establishing time lines, assigning personnel, ensuring the availability of adequate resources, obtaining necessary information from internal departments and external vendors, and leading projects to completion. Utilizes continuous improvement methodologies (DMAIC, PDCA, Lean, etc.) and tools (SPC, RCA / 8D, DOE, etc.) and coaches team members in the application of CI tools.
- Confers with management, Quality staff and other internal departments to determine priority of requests for Quality team assistance. Shifts time lines, personnel and resources to meet high-priority projects.
- Ensures necessary record keeping for Quality personnel, improvement projects, process monitoring and audits.
- Relays and shares information with employees and other departments in a timely manner. Schedules meetings with staff and attends meetings with other departments to ensure optimum communication.
- Obtains and maintains ISO internal auditor certification; consistently and effectively serves as the company’s internal auditor as dictated by the standards.
- Ensures Quality team members receive adequate training to perform job responsibilities. Ensures Quality team members meet established standards for productivity and accuracy.
- Provides positive and negative feedback to employees verbally and in writing. Documents feedback, when necessary. Conducts annual performance reviews for employees, defines Quality team member training plans and oversees on-going development.
- Performs other duties and/or leads various company/business initiatives/projects as directed by leadership.
May lead a team of one or more Quality Inspector(s), Technician(s) and/or Engineer(s). Provides overall guidance to production team members, leaders and support departments in improving and maintaining AES’s Quality Management System.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Four-year degree in Quality Management, Engineering or related field or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
- At least five years of experience in Quality field with preferred 3+ years in a Lead, Supervisor, Manager or Project Manager role.
- Previous project management experience in quality is highly desirable.
- Strong experience and working knowledge of ISO 9001 standards.
- Experience with root cause analysis and corrective action methodologies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects in maintaining or planning and implementation of ISO standards.
- Excellent ability to read and interpret blueprints, mil-specs, government contacts and requirements.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with all levels and functional areas of the business.
- Ability to handle job-related matters in a professional, diplomatic and confidential manner.
- Strong statistical and math skills.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- ASQ, PMI or similar certification preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Usual office environment with frequent sitting, walking, and standing, and occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and balancing.
- Frequent use of eye, hand, and finger coordination enabling the use of office equipment or computers.
- Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication through automated devices such as the telephone.
- Occasional bending, climbing, stooping in order to examine raw materials, work-in-progress and finished goods.
The work environmental characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Generally works in a climate-controlled environment.
- Ability to travel occasionally domestically.
Occasional: activity exists less than 1/3 of the time.
Frequent: activity exists 1/3 and 2/3 of the time.
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and vets.